Leave No Trace (LNT)
Lead - Corey Anne
Co-Lead - Kip Greystone
One of our Ten Principles is Leave No Trace! The LNT team is responsible for continuing education about LNT philosophy and techniques. The Team helps Alchemy participants identify ways to keep their own camps clean and is also the lead organizer for post-event site recovery. We want all participants to embrace and help enforce the LNT principle; and, ideally, make it a habit and take it back to the 'default' world.
A shift with LNT involves nothing more than doing what you would normally do at a burn: wander around, meet good people, and have a good time! The only difference is you are on a mission to spread awareness about LNT. Whether it be as simple as pointing out MOOP to oblivious participants or giving a theme camp tips on how to reduce their impact. Since there is no one left to educate, the Monday MOOP Map shift is the only shift focused entirely on MOOP removal. These volunteers, as a team, will cover the entirety of Cherokee Farms to ensure we leave the land in better condition than that in which it was found. Any Monday MOOP Map fairies found to be lazy will have their wings acidified and be banished back to default responsibility.
Want to lead LNT at a future burn?
Below are some expectations and requirements of team leads. Do not be scared by all this stuff! We have pretty solid support and resource systems to help you with this, especially if this is your first time leading a team.
LNT Team Lead Expectations:
- Educate participants on LNT principles, tips, and tricks.
- Involve theme camps in encouraging Leave No Trace.
- Organize daily MOOP sweeps utilizing the LNT team and other volunteers.
- Ensure all art projects, theme camps, and teams are following their LNT plan, and implement education and assistance, as needed.
- Work with the Teardown team to ensure the property is left clean after the event,
- Attend the post-event Teardown, Monday October 5th, and possibly Tuesday October 6th, if needed.
General Team Lead Expectations:
- Attend the monthly Team Lead meetings. If you do not live close enough to Atlanta, we require that you have a Co-Lead who can attend.
- Submit a budget for the team.
- Attend build weekend/week if required for your team.
- Set up a volunteer schedule in coordination with the volunteer coordinator.
- Attend the daily Team Lead meetings during the event.
- Assign one person (either a Team Lead or an experienced volunteer) to assist with breaking down the team's infrastructure. This team member must remain onsite until their team's assets have been completely broken down and turned over to Teardown/Public Works.
- Complete post-event report submitted 3 weeks after the event.
- Attend Radio training