Design Leads - Meganphone and Meganity Sliver not Silver
Logistics Lead - Mary Robb
Construction Lead - Jeff Ensing
The Effigy Team is responsible for the design, construction, transportation, burning, clean up, and any other needs of the effigy. Many participants consider this to be a very important part of the event, since it is the largest art installation we create. It is (physically and symbolically) the most central of all the installations. It also holds significant value to many participants as they consider the bonfire effigy-burn ceremony on Saturday night to be the climax of the burn.
Our effigies have very few constraints on their artistic and structural concept. They have historically been wooden, interactive, and climbable. It's a structure that participants spend much of their time connecting to and celebrating with one another. A nexus of expression in all forms.
Are you a builder, carpenter, metal worker, or CNC machinist looking to share your skills with the Effigy team and the burn community?
Are you none of those things but want to get your hands dirty and learn new skills, working on the effigy?
Have you been around the block, pitched in on some builds, and liked what you saw?
Do you just love power tools, the smell of sawdust, and sweat?
There are all kinds of ways that you can help make this effigy a reality. We want you for Effigy Team 2015!
Email us at email@example.com and let us know! Welcome to the team.
Want to lead Effigy at a future burn?
Below are some expectations and requirements of team leads. Do not be scared by all this stuff! We have pretty solid support and resource systems to help you with this, especially if this is your first time leading a team.
Effigy is unique, in that the leadership is broken out into three distinct roles:
Effigy Art Lead:
- The creative and imaginative mind behind the Effigy. They are the visionaries who dream the big dream. Expectation about their role include:
- Creating the design concept for the Effigy (does not have to include the technical design)
- Overseeing and curating the artistic aspects of the Effigy
- Working with the Effigy Leads to incorporate any desired artistic mediums (CnC art, painting, lighting, sound, etc)
- Thinking of ways to include community members and incorporate their art in the Effigy (With the assistance of the Effigy Logistics Lead)
- Working with the Fire Safety team to come up with a cool and safe ignition plan
- Ability to create a digital model of the design is highly desired (but not required)
- No construction experience necessary. We will hook you up with with the people who have that
Effigy Construction & Fabrication Lead:
- The technically inclined, builder savvy hands that will lead the physical design, construction, and labor. Expectation about their role include:
- Working with the Effigy Art Lead to translate their concept into a safe and structurally sound Effigy
- Creating the plans and blueprints for the Effigy, within the Fire Safety guidelines
- Creating a build budget and a materials list, as accurately as possible
- Working with the Effigy Leads to create a pre-build plan and schedule
- Working with the Effigy Logistics Lead to recruit a volunteer build crew
- Working with the Effigy Leads to create any CnC art (if applicable)
- Working with the Logistics Lead to coordinate transportation of the Effigy from the build site to the event site
- Working with the Ops Department Lead to secure heavy equipment and certified volunteers to operator them (if needed)
- Overseeing the build process (pre-build and on-site)
- Construction, contractor, carpentry, or equivalent experience is required
- This is likely the most time consuming lead position. Your presence is needed for all pre-build sessions and on-site construction.
- This constraint can be off-set by good project management, delegation, and a supportive team.
- No artistic background necessary (although it wouldn't hurt to have it)
Effigy Logistics Lead:
- The type-A wizard who will help keep everyone's S&#! together. Expectation about their role include:
- Being fully available to the other Effigy Leads to provide any logistical stuff as needed. This includes:
- Communication with the ELT and the rest of the event leadership
- Purchasing, build materials, and art supplies
- Build site needs
- Organizing people and volunteer management
- Working with the Alchemy Public Works (APW) and the Purchasing Lead to secure all the tools and materials needed
- Working with the EMS and Ops Departments to coordinate and plan closing and burning the sucker down
- Working with the Effigy Leads and APW to coordinate the Effigy burn-scar clean up
- No art, design, or building experience necessary
- Efficient and prompt communication is required
- Online planning tools (Excel, Google Docs, etc) skills required
General Team Lead Expectations:
- Attend the monthly Team Lead meetings. If you do not live close enough to Atlanta, we require that you have a Co-Lead who can attend.
- Submit a budget for the team.
- Attend build weekend/week if required for your team.
- Set up a volunteer schedule in coordination with the volunteer coordinator.
- Attend the daily Team Lead meetings during the event.
- Assign one person (either a Team Lead or an experienced volunteer) to assist with breaking down the team's infrastructure. This team member must remain onsite until their team's assets have been completely broken down and turned over to Teardown/Public Works.
- Complete post-event report submitted 3 weeks after the event.
- Attend Radio training